How much does divorce cost in Canada?
Chatelaine Magazine recently published a very interesting article about the “going rate” of legal fees in Canada across each province and territory across all practice areas, including family and divorce law.
In a survey conducted by the Canadian Lawyers 2015 Legal Fees Survey, the following average national fee ranges were published for the practice area of Family Law:
- Uncontested Divorce: $1,875
- Contested Divorce: $13,638
- Separation Agreement: $2,130
- Child Custody and Support Agreement: $2,033
- Trial Up to 2 Days: $18,706
- Trial Up to 5 Days: $35,950
- Marriage/Co-Habitation Agreement: $1,727
- Spousal Support Agreement $2,208
- Division of Property/Assets Agreement: $2,436
Financially Preparing for Divorce
For more information on financially planning for your divorce, please see our article on financially preparing for divorce.